Saturday, June 26, 2010

Day 2: My meditation Mission

From: sekayoga.wordpress.com



Meditation. A key part of the 40 days to Personal Revolution is establishing a personal meditation practice. This is my biggest challenge...wait, this is my biggest opportunity. Even writing about meditation makes me want to find distraction (hence the late entry).

So what is meditation? Google "meditation" and you get 32, 500 entries in 0.24 seconds. Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary defines "meditate" as:
1: to engage in contemplation or reflection
2: to engage in mental exercise (as concentration on one's breathing or repetition of a mantra) for the purpose of reaching a heightened level of spiritual awareness

I identify with the second definition most, at least that is what I understand meditation to be through this process. Through the 40 days, it is not about reflection or contemplating a topic, such as a daily devotional, but rather a process of awareness. Becoming aware of the thoughts that float in and out of my mind at any moment. Being able to sit in stillness and then to not get attached to the thoughts that distract my mind, that is my goal.

So yada yada, we know what meditation is, HOW do I meditate? I do as I was taught at the Cultivating Peace Workshop at MBody Yoga. First it is best to meditate first thing in the morning and last thing at night. A anagram my teacher taught me is RPM: Rise, Pee, Meditate. For me, it is RFPM: Rise, Feed (cats), Pee, Meditate. Find a quiet place in your house, like your extra bedroom that you can't seem to rent out. Find some blankets or pillows to sit on. It is important to keep your hips higher than your knees so that your legs don't fall asleep. If sitting on the floor is difficult you can sit in a chair. Whatever seated pose is best for you, take it, just be sure to be upright, since lying down lends itself to napping. This is not svasana or nap time, it is time to be present.
Now, bring your hands together so that your fingers touch one another. Close your eyes. Breathe. And begin to watch your mind, your thoughts as they come in and out of your awareness. If you find yourself following a thought tangent, getting pulled away from center, come back to your hands. Focus on your center.

Meditation is like exercise a muscle. It takes time to be able to sit and be still. Thanks to our society, we are trained to go go go all the time, but the truth is the truth is in the stillness.
Be still and know.

No comments:

Post a Comment